SSEAYP day reflection

I rarely have surprises when attending an event. But the moment when my name was called in a hall filled with 60s talented youths to join SSEAYP, that was a sheer surprise. Not only did I not really aim for it (my 1st priority programme was the Indonesia-Canada exchange) but also I barely had knowledge of SSEAYP. The committee saw I was more suitable for SSEAYP and voilà my journey started literally from zero.

As I underwent through countless series of practices and preparations (memorising songs like Shima Uta, learning Malay dance, writing essays, playing angklung, buying attire, picking up boxes of sponsored goods, etc.), I began to feel grateful of having been selected for this programme. Grateful because not only does it happen once in a lifetime, but also it gives superpositive impacts on me. I learnt to be less complaining, be bold yet careful with words and actions, take courage to be exposed to 'shocking' cultural practices, make creative ideas within minutes, be altruistic, be sincere in praising others' achievements, and many more. And 'learning' here doesn't mean flawless; I did make mistakes that might have hurt others or embarrassed myself.

The 2012 programme has ended officially, but I believe SSEAYP doesn't end with our inner circle of friendship, which outsiders might not understand. Instead, it enlarges itself to encompass more and more people, to engage them in friendship and good deeds. Thus, to me, to be a successful SSEAYP alumnus/alumna is to be an extension of divine love and blessings for society.

#HappySSEAYPday

Posted on Facebook on 7 October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you. Put your comments below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...