Winning a ticket to the Queen's Birthday Party

It was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had.

I knew that the British Embassy in Jakarta, through their Facebook page, was holding a photo contest last June commemorating UK Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday Party. Anybody could submit as many photos as possible that depict the Union Jack, the best three of which would be extended an invitation to the party in Jakarta. I didn't really pay any particular attention to that announcement and I had no intention to participate in it.

It was in the evening on Tuesday, 4 June 2013, when I was heading to Sofyan Hotel Betawi in Menteng, Central Jakarta, to welcome Brian, fellow ex-participant of the 39th Ship for South East Asian Youth Programme. Hailing from the Philippines, he flew to Jakarta thanks to the Indonesian government's Arts and Culture Scholarship. With three other contingent members, we made an appointment to gather in the hotel.

So, I was riding my motorcycle when I bumped into a bajaj running exactly in front of me on Jl. Cipinang Baru Utara. And I noticed that the three-wheeler had a Union Jack on its backside! Instantly, I was saying to myself, If the birthday party were meant for me, I would be able to capture this bajaj

You can run, but you can't hide: A three-wheeler
bajaj is heading westwards on Jl. Cipinang Baru
Utara in Jakarta at Tuesday twilight. It carries
a mark similar to the Union Jack on the
back side of its roof.
Without thinking too much I fumbled for my mobile phone in my shoulder bag. Using one hand I pressed the capture button on my mobile's screen whereas the other hand held the handlebar. I could have just overtaken the bajaj and asked the driver to stop for a while, allowing me to take photos effortlessly, but I wanted to keep everything natural. Finally, I got one photo clear enough because it was taken as the traffic light was red. As goes the saying, only God knows when a bajaj will make a turn, we separated when the bajaj turned right and I went straight.

I submitted the photo together with other blurred images just to show that they were genuinely taken in a stunt-like action. And voilà, six days afterwards I found my photo selected together with two other entries! I was amazed given the big number of Indonesian teenagers admiring the UK who submitted their photos on Twitter using the hash sign #SayaMauQBP. Even an unknown guy on Twitter (seemed that he had not been lucky enough to win the contest) offered himself to join me, asking if I needed his company for the party; the invitation was for one person only, unfortunately. Well, I don't know exactly the reason why mine was chosen; I guess that's because the photo was captured with much effort and it symbolised a blend of British and Jakarta culture. Could it be?
The announcement of the photo contest result as
posted on Facebook by the British Embassy in Jakarta.

Anyway, I did enjoy the party pretty much: good hors d'oeuvres, red and white wine, beer, cheese, and fish and chips. Perhaps it was just because I was alone at the beginning that I felt a bit awkward in the middle of crowd. Most guests were officials of the government and the embassy, Indonesian alumni of Chevening scholarship, and celebrities. Thankfully, I met another winner of the photo contest. I also bumped into an alumna of Chevening, Ms Mimi, who was accompanied by her nephew because she was visually impaired. I remembered seeing her in a volunteering event where people retyped books to be printed in the braille format for the sake of the blind. I enjoyed spending time talking with her as she was the one inspiring me to care for the blind and the deaf. Alas, at some moments I forgetfully offered a handshake, prompting her nephew to bring her hand to mine.

That soirée was a delight for an outsider like me. But I know someday I'll be part of the UK alumni, joining the social gathering regularly. Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you. Put your comments below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...