My preference for British spelling

I was designing an on-line exam on Google Docs for candidates of a youth exchange programme. Before publishing the form on the Internet, I let my co-trainer re-examine the questions. He pointed his finger at one spot on my laptop screen. 'Why is it organisational, not organizational?'.

British spelling is seen exotic for the eyes of many Indonesian learners of English today (note: -ize verbs are actually as acceptable as -ise verbs). It's understandable due to the great influence of US media on Indonesian population that they consider US spelling as the standard norm. To this category belong such words as standardize, traveler, skillful, etc.

However, since Indonesia is by no means an English-speaking countries, unlike her neighbouring countries--look, I wrote 'neighbour'--e.g. Singapore and the Philippines (and to some extent Malaysia and Brunei), the Indonesian government has got no specific rules governing the variant of English spelling in official document translations. At least that's what I know so far.

So, why do I choose to stick to British spelling? Naturally, that's because of my preference for British pronunciation. Integrating spelling and pronunciation of a particular kind of English, that means being consciously consistent with linguistic variety. As English isn't my mother tongue, I've got to be aware of the spelling differences from time to time.

One question remains, though. Why on earth do I choose British pronunciation? That's another story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you. Put your comments below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...